Barrowby Road signal box was located ¾ mile north of Grantham station, where the double track line from Nottingham meets the East Coast Main Line. Just south of the box all four tracks crossed Barrowby Road (the A52) on a low bridge (which has long suffered from being struck by large road vehicles).
The box opened in May 1881. For 56 years, until 1937, signalmen at Barrowby Road were responsible for signalling main line trains as well as those to and from the Nottingham direction. Hence, as can be seen above, the box was built to face the more important traffic. In October 1937 the main line signals here were removed, along with those at Peascliffe box a mile further north, when automatic colour light signalling of the section between Grantham North and Barkston South Junction signal boxes was commissioned to facilitate the higher speed capability of the latest streamlined expresses.
After October 1937 the box controlled only the Nottingham lines, which involved the convergence of an Up Goods line from Gonerby and a junction for a long siding to Ambergate Yard, Grantham's original rail terminus from Nottingham, next to the canal basin.
Malcolm Rush visited Barrowby Road signal box on Wednesday 4th January 1967 to sketch the track diagram, take a photograph of the interior and make notes. Malcolm's drawing, photograph and notes made at Barrowby Road, along with links to an exterior photograph and other information, can be seen here. This was part of a wider project involving visits to record similar details at 184 signal boxes.
Barrowby Road signal box closed on Sunday 4th August 1968. A more detailed history is being researched and written. If you have information or photographs that would help us please get in touch.