Above: Class A1 No. 60132 is prepared for turning on the 70-foot turntable at Grantham Loco in August 1949. Photograph by Peter Wilkinson
by John Clayson
Locomotive turning was an essential operation at most engine sheds and major termini in the days of the steam railway. Steam locomotives, except those which spent their entire working lives on shunting duties, were designed to travel 'chimney first' whenever possible:
- they rode better and more safely at speed through curves and junctions;
- footplates were optimised for forward travel in terms of the layout of the controls and the shelter of the crew;
- technically, the valve gear design and valve arrangements were usually set up in favour of forward gear, aiding efficiency;
- ...and, of course, the steamlined profile of the A4s could only be effective if they were travelling forward!
Turntables may predate the main line railways, because they were probably used on some horsedrawn waggonways. At the earliest principal stations there were circular rotating platforms with inset rails on which a single goods wagon or a 4-wheeled carriage could be transferred to another track set at right angles. Three are seen below, in the foreground, at the Crown Street, Liverpool, terminus of the Liverpool & Manchester Railway in 1833.
Though they could be used to manoeuvre just one vehicle at a time using only manual power, these small turntables occupied less space than a set of points. They survived in goods yards into the 20th century, including at Grantham as shown below.
To turn locomotives a larger and much more substantially engineered device was needed. The rotating part was a strong, centrally pivoted girder on which the locomotive to be turned was positioned so that the weight was as well balanced as possible.
All but the largest and most modern locomotive turntables were manually powered by the crew, who pushed against extension bars at each end. The masonry surrounding the turntable had a trackway of raised treads to provide a foothold. A large steam locomotive of the 1930s-1960s, fully prepared with coal and water, weighed up to 170 tons.
An alternative to the turntable is a geometrical arrangement of track which, when traversed by a locomotive (or indeed a train), has the effect of reversing its direction of travel. The most common of these are the reversing loop and the triangular junction. Such track layouts can either be part of the local railway operational infrastructure or, more rarely, they can be specially constructed solely for the purpose of locomotive turning.
Locomotive Turning Facilities at Grantham
Grantham's role as a locomotive changeover point on the East Coast Main Line became established in 1862. Improvements to the shed facilities, including a locomotive turntable, became essential so that any main line locomotive could be prepared for duty in either direction.
In addition to the reasons for turning outlined previously, it is beneficial for a locomotive to have its chimney uphill when travelling over a steeply inclined section of the line. This is related to boiler safety, and the longer the locomotive's boiler the more it becomes desirable that it faces uphill. From the 1940s until 1963 some of the largest heavy freight locomotives based at Grantham shed worked the steeply graded ironstone branch from High Dyke, so it was important that they were sent out from the shed facing the right direction.
Turntables were used at Grantham Loco until 1950/51, when a specially constructed compact 'crossover triangle' was set out on land to the west of the shed. Grantham's turning triangle remained in use until the shed closed in 1963.
In the Grantham area a variety of turning facilities remote from the shed have been available to the north. The best-known is the former triangular junction at Barkston which was in operation between 1882 and 1972. An alternative option, via Barkston South Junction, Barkston East Junction and Allington Junction, was available between 1875 and 2005.
Since 2005 the 'Allington Chord' has, in theory, provided a turning triangle facility. However, since the end of the regular use of steam locomotives turning has become unnecessary for the normal operational needs of the railway, so the local signalling arrangements at Allington do not provide for the set of moves required for turning.
So far as we know there have been five turntables at Grantham shed occupying four different sites, though at most only two were ever in operation at the same time.
For ease of identification on this page we are identifying them as Turntables 'A' to 'E', but of course they were never known as such when in service.
Turntables 'A' and 'B'
'Turntable A', Grantham's first turntable, was installed in about 1862, situated on the east side of the Engine Shed (later to become known as the 'Old Shed'), opposite the south end of the Western Platform. It was 40 feet in diameter.
'Turntable B' is said to have been a relocation of 'Turntable A' to a new site, opposite the north end of the station, in about 1889. There is a turntable shown at both sites on the map below which was surveyed in 1885, so this point needs further research.
Turntables 'A' and 'B' were suitable for the 4-2-2, 2-4-0 and 0-6-0 locomotives used by the GNR during the 19th century.
We believe that the following accident took place on 'Turntable B', though it could have been at 'Turntable C' which had been brought into use the previous year.
Arthur D. Scrimshire was the uncle of Alfred Scrimshire, who was Chief Clerk in the Stationmaster's office in the 1930s and appears in the photograph here.
'Turntable B' was removed in about 1903 to enable the construction of a new goods line to the west of the passenger station.
'Turntable C', 52 feet in diameter, was installed in 1897 to enable the Great Northern Railway's larger 4-4-2 'Atlantic' locomotives to be operated from Grantham shed. It was built at the south end of the Loco site, next to Springfield Road, at the same time as the adjacent 'Top Shed'.
Accident on Monday 26th August 1915
(from The Grantham Journal of 31st July 1915)
Locomotives in Collision – On Monday evening an accident involving damage to two G.N.R. engines, other rolling stock, and buffer stops occurred at the Springfield locomotive sheds. From information to hand, we understand that an Atlantic type engine got temporarily out of control, and collided with another locomotive of an earlier pattern that was on the turntable. The latter engine dashed with great force into two stationary tenders, which, in turn, drove the buffer stops clean out of the yard beneath the footpath on Springfield Road, the asphalt of which was dislodged. Fortunately, no one was injured, but the damage to the engines was rather extensive.
The site of this accident is shown in the aerial photograph of 1950 above; note that there are two wagons positioned where the two tenders would have been in 1915.
'Turntable C' was out of use by 1947. While it remained in service there were two turntables available at Grantham shed. The site of 'Turntable C' was obliterated when a spur of the turning triangle was constructed in 1951.
In 1891 the Great Northern Railway bought the former Grantham Workhouse site to enable the constricted northern end of the station and shed layout to be extended to the west in future years. The railway extended across the workhouse land in stages, demolishing the buildings and raising the lower-lying ground to track level by tipping spoil onto the site. The infilling process was probably not carefully controlled, laying up problems for the railway which would have to be dealt with half a century later.
'Turntable D', 55 feet in diameter, was built on part of the old workhouse site in 1903. It replaced the old 40-foot diameter 'Turntable B', which was too small for newer locomotives and whose site was needed for a proposed new goods line which would be built to bypass the passenger station.
'Turntable D' was removed in 1921. However, being only 18 years old it was fit for further service and was relocated to Bradford. We are not sure where in Bradford it was used. There was a turntable at the GNR's Bradford Hammerton Street loco shed and two others at Bradford Exchange station.
At the beginning of the 1920s, with the A1 'Pacific' locomotives under construction, it was clear that Grantham shed would need a larger turntable than those of 52 feet and 55 feet diameter then in service (Turntables 'C' and 'D'). So in 1921 'Turntable D' was replaced on the same site by a new 70-foot diameter turntable, 'Turntable E'.
In 1950 the foundation of 'Turntable E' began to show signs of subsidence. This was probably due to the instability of the ground on which it stood, this being spoil tipped some fifty years earlier covering the site of the old workhouse. There seemed little that could be done to stabilise the site. However, British Railways owned a substantial area of land to the west of the Loco, where a turning triangle could be speedily laid out, and this option was implemented (see below).
Grantham's 70-foot turntable was fit for further service. It was installed at Melton Constable in Norfolk, as shown in the two photographs below, where it remained in use until 1959.
Does anyone know of any photographs showing Turntables 'A', 'B', 'C' or 'D' at Grantham? If you do please let us know.
When turntable facilities at Grantham shed were unavailable, for example because of breakdown or accident and after 'Turntable E' became disabled in 1950, resort was made to turning triangles.
Barkston South and East Junctions and Allington Junction
From 29th October 1875 until the closure of Barkston East and South Junctions on 3rd October 2005 it was possible to turn locomotives using the route shown below, a 13-mile round trip.
The last known proper turning move at Grantham took place using this route on 25th October 2003, whilst Barkston East Junction was still open. The steam loco, B1 No. 61264, arrived at Grantham from Nottingham facing the wrong way round to take forward a northbound rail tour, The Lincolnshire Poacher. It was sent from Grantham to Barkston East (tender first) via the ECML; it then made its way (facing forward) to Allington Junction finally returning (tender first) to Grantham along the Nottingham line, ready to take over the rail tour. A delay to the Empty Coaching Stock meant the tour started from Finsbury Park, and not Kings Cross as booked.
Barkston Junction - South, East and North
A shorter route using the three legs of the triangle at Barkston Junction was possible for 90 years, from April 1882 until the closure of the curve between Barkston North and Barkston East Junctions on 29th April 1972. This was a 10-mile round trip.
The Turning Triangle at Grantham Shed
When it was realised that the 70-foot turntable would be difficult to keep in service because of unstable ground conditions other options were considered. A normal triangle with track curvature suitable for use by express locomotives would occupy many acres of land. However, thanks to the GNR buying up more property in the 1890s than it required for its immediate needs, sufficient railway-owned land was available nearby to lay out a space-saving 'cross-legged' triangle, in which two of the sides intersected in a flat crossing.
Grantham Loco was unique in Britain in having a turning triangle which was on shed territory and not shared by normal railway traffic. 'Going round the angle' to turn a locomotive became a well established part of the Grantham Loco tradition. Many young cleaners had their first experience at the controls under the guidance of an experienced hand, and youngsters from Grantham railway families were taken aboard on quiet evenings for 'a trip round the angle' on the footplate.
The turning triangle at Grantham Loco was in use daily for 12 years until September 1963, when the shed closed.
Allington Junction and Chord
The Allington Chord opened on 3rd October 2005. Its principal purpose was to divert traffic between Grantham and Spalding away from the stretch of the East Coast Main Line between Grantham and the former South Junction at Barkston.
The junctions at each apex are controlled from Allington signal box, built at the same time as the chord. It replaced the old GNR Allington Junction box which controlled the original divergence of the Grantham and Sleaford lines, now known as Allington West Junction.
The chord created a triangular junction at Allington which, in theory, could be used for locomotive turning. However, since the end of the regular use of steam locomotives turning has become unnecessary for the normal operational needs of the railway, and the signalling layout at Allington does not allow for the true turning of locomotives or trains through each leg of the triangle.
These days the only feasible option is to send a train from Grantham all the way to Sleaford, via the East and North Junctions, to cross over at Sleaford and return to Allington, when it can then be reversed via the West Junction; however this is time consuming and adds needless mileage - Allington to Sleaford and return is about 30 miles.
There are occasional times when a piece of engineers' (Yellow Plant) machinery needs turning round before or after a job, but this is usually achieved whilst the line(s) are under engineers' possession. This probably occurs about once or twice a year.
There are instances where an engineers' machine arriving from Sleaford, for example, towards Grantham may be the wrong way round for using the Allington Chord - these are then routed via the West Junction, from where they merely reverse direction towards Grantham.
Information for this article has been drawn from many published sources, in particular the following:
Great Northern Railway Engine Sheds - Volume 1, Southern Area by Roger Griffiths & John Hooper (Book Law / Railbus in association with Challenger (reprint), 2001)
The Layout Development of the Grantham Area Part 4: The Northern Junctions (Grantham North Jn [exclusive] to Barkston North Jn, including Ambergate Yard), parts (i) to (vi) by Don Anderson, published in Great Northern News Nos. 191 to 196 (The Great Northern Railway Society, 2013-2014)
My thanks to Andy Hides of the Grantham Railway Sports & Social Club for information about the more recent period.