This August 1949 view shows the western side of Grantham station. The coaches on the left are at platform 5.
The locomotive is a Great Northern Railway Large Atlantic, class C1, No.62822. The Ivatt Large Atlantics were sucessful and highly regarded Edwardian locomotives, designed to haul express pasenger trains between London and Yorkshire on the East Coast Main Line. They had been familiar at Grantham since the first one was built in 1902. By 1949 No.62822 was one of the last in service, working out its final years on local trains.
Photograph lent by Peter Wilkinson.