This is class A4 locomotive No.60002 Sir Murrough Wilson which was based at Gateshead shed. It will have brought a train from Tyneside to Grantham, has been serviced and prepared for its return journey, and is standing with other locomotives on 'London Road', the tracks where engines scheduled for main line duty waited before being taken across to the station to await the arrival of their train. This scene dates from 1948 or 1950.
Sir Murrough John Wilson had been Deputy Chairman of the London & North Eastern Railway. He was MP for Richmond in Yorkshire between 1918 and 1929.
Photograph lent by Peter Wilkinson.